Community Development Corporation
- 7 p.m.
- 2nd Monday of the month
- Lake Dallas City Hall Council Chambers
212 Main Street
Lake Dallas, TX 75065
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
|Charlie Price||Place 1||Oct. 2020|
|Terry Tuck||Place 2||Oct. 2021|
|Michael Barnhart||Place 3||Oct. 2020|
|Melody Parlett||Place 4||Oct. 2021|
|Karl Hammond||Place 5||Oct. 2020|
|Mike Mayberry||Place 6||Oct. 2021|
|Rudy Vrba||Place 7||Oct. 2020|
The Community Development Corporation (CDC) was created in January 2003 to foster improvements in the commercial area of the city and to enhance the quality of life in the city as a tool for attracting new businesses and residents.
About the Corporation
The Lake Dallas Community Development Corporation (CDC) was created in January 2003 to foster improvements in the commercial area of the city and to enhance the quality of life in the City as a tool for attracting new businesses and residents. The CDC Board of Directors is a 7-member board appointed by the City Council. The revenue that the CDC uses to pay for the projects it undertakes comes from a ½ cent add-on to the sales tax. This tax provides approximately $350,000 annually for the CDC to use on its projects.
The City of Lake Dallas Community Development Corporation (CDC) has implemented a Business Improvement Grant (BIG) Program that provides technical and financial assistance to property owners seeking to renovate or restore their exterior signage, lighting or commercial building façades. The BIG Program’s objectives are to improve the physical appearance of businesses and enhance the city’s commercial corridors.
The BIG Program offers a 1:1 (50%) matching grant of up to $10,000 for the funding of well-designed improvements. Improvements may include the restoration of architectural details, better windows and doors, and well proportioned signage and lighting. City staff will be available to provide assistance to applicants through the conceptual stage at no cost to the applicants.
Projects in the city’s Main Street/Downtown Overlay district may be eligible for 2:1 (66%) matching grant of up to $10,000.
Please see the links below for the guidelines and applications. For all questions, please contact the Community Development Coordinator.
|BIG Guidelines||BIG Application|
The CDC has a number of projects which it can participate in, as noted below from the Bylaws of the Corporation and the Articles of Incorporation:
- Acquire or lease property
- Plan, develop, improve, and sell or lease land
- Build or rehabilitate buildings for sale or lease
- Sell or lease property
- Make loans and/or loan guarantees
- Borrow funds and issue bonds with City Council approval
- Sue or be sued in the Corporation's name
- Develop long range goals and programs
- Appoint standing or ad hoc committees
- Employ personnel and/or contract for support services with professional consultants and contractors
- Market and promote the City
- Provide funding for developments or to enhance infrastructure
The CDC has been very busy since its inception. Some of the projects that the CDC has funded include:
- Provided funding along with the Economic Development Corporation (EDC) for the "Main & Market" project at 209 Main Street
- Shared the cost of a Land and Thoroughfare Planning Study with the EDC
- Funded a Parks, Recreation and Open Space Master Plan that has led to 3 park improvement projects
- Funded the improvements to River Oaks Park completed March 2006
- Borrowed $900,000 and applied for and received grant funds and contributions for major improvements to City Park and Willow Grove Park
- Paid 50% of the cost of an economic development consultant and paid for administrative support from the City
- Initiated the Christmas lighting on Main Street buildings by purchasing and installing lights on downtown buildings
- Provided financial support to the Keep Lake Dallas Beautiful Committee as well as Parks and Recreation special events
- Funded a directory of city businesses for placement in local businesses